The ICODE SLIX-S IC is a dedicated chip for smart label applications with the need for a higher security level, larger memory and/or a product which takes care of the increasing demand for perfect customer privacy. This IC is the third generation of a product family of smart label ICs based on the ISO standards ISO/IEC 15693 and ISO/IEC 18000-3, prolonging a successful story of NXP in the field of vicinity identification systems.
The ICODE system offers the possibility of operating labels simultaneously in the field of the reader antenna (anticollision). It is designed for long range applications.
Contactless energy and data transfer
Whenever connected to a very simple and easy-to-produce type of antenna (as a result of the 13.56 MHz carrier frequency) made out of a few windings printed, winded, etched or punched coil, the ICODE SLIX-S IC can be operated without line of sight up to a distance of 1.5 m (gate width). No battery is needed. When the smart label is positioned in the field of an interrogator antenna, the high speed RF communication interface enables data to be transmitted up to 53 kbit/s.
An intelligent anticollision function enables several tags to operate in the field simultaneously. The anticollision algorithm selects each tag individually and ensures that the execution of a transaction with a selected tag is performed correctly without data corruption resulting from other tags in the field.
Security and privacy aspects
- Unique IDentifier (UID):
The UID cannot be altered and guarantees the uniqueness of each label.
- Password protected memory management (Read/Write access):
Pages (1 page = 4 blocks of 4 bytes each) can be protected with a password, which ensures that only authorized users get read/write access to the protected parts of the user memory (anti counterfeiting).
- Password protected Label Destroy:
The 32-bit Destroy password enables an addressed label to be destroyed with the DESTROY SLIX-S command. That status is irreversible and the label will never respond to any command again.
- Password protected Privacy Mode:
The 32-bit Privacy password enables a label to be set to the Privacy mode with the ENABLE PRIVACY command. In this mode the label will not respond to any command except the command GET RANDOM NUMBER, until it next receives the correct Privacy password. This mode is especially designed to meet the increasing demand to take care of the customers privacy.
- Password protected EAS and AFI functionality:
The 32-bit EAS/AFI password enables the addressed label to be set in a mode where the EAS status, the EAS ID and/or the AFI value can only be changed if the correct EAS/AFI password is transmitted to the label within the mentioned commands.
ICODE SLIX-S RF interface (ISO/IEC 15693)
- Contactless transmission of data and supply energy (no battery needed)
- Operating distance: up to 1.5 m (depending on antenna geometry)
- Operating frequency: 13.56 MHz (ISM, world-wide licence freely available)
- Fast data transfer: up to 53 kbit/s
- High data integrity: 16-bit CRC, framing
- True anticollision
- Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS)
- Application Family Identifier (AFI) supported
- Data Storage Format Identifier (DSFID)
- ENABLE PRIVACY command with 32-bit Privacy password
- DESTROY SLIX-S command with 32-bit Destroy password
- Additional fast anticollision read
- Write distance equal to read distance
- 2048 bits (2 KB), organized in 64 blocks of 4 bytes each, 4 blocks are summed up to 1 page
- 50 years data retention
- Write endurance of 100000 cycles
- Unique identifier for each device
- Lock mechanism for each user memory block (write protection)
- Lock mechanism for DSFID, AFI, EAS
- Password (32-bit) protected memory management for Read access
- Password (32-bit) protected memory management for Write access
- Password (32-bit) protected Label Destroy
- Password (32-bit) protected Privacy Mode
- Password (32-bit) protected EAS and AFI functionality
- Item level tagging in pharmaceutical supply chains
- Counterfeit protection for consumer goods
- Industrial applications
- Asset and document tracking