The ICODE SLIX2 IC is the newest member of NXP’s SLIX product family. The chip is fully backwards compatible to SLIX and offers an increased user memory size, along with new outstanding features and performance:
- NXP originality signature
- Increased speed for Inventory management
- Increased reading range
- Increased robustness against detuning effects
- 2.5 kbit user memory size
- Flexible user memory segmentation with separate access conditions
- Password protected on chip service cycle counter
Contactless energy and data transfer
Whenever connected to a very simple and easy-to-produce type of antenna (as a result of the 13.56 MHz carrier frequency) made out of a few windings printed, winded, etched or punched coil, the ICODE SLIX2 IC can be operated without line of sight up to a distance of 1.5 m (gate width). No battery is needed. When the smart label is positioned in the field of an interrogator antenna, the high speed RF communication interface enables data to be transmitted up to 53 kbit/s.
An intelligent anticollision function enables several tags to operate in the field simultaneously. The anticollision algorithm selects each tag individually and ensures that the execution of a transaction with a selected tag is performed correctly without data corruption resulting from other tags in the field.
Security and privacy aspects
- Unique IDentifier (UID):
The UID cannot be altered and guarantees the uniqueness of each label.
- Originality signature:
32 byte ECC based originality signature.
- Password protected memory management (Read/Write access):
The user memory can be segmented into two pages and the access rights for read/write access can be defined for each of them. This ensures that only authorized users get read/write access to the protected parts of the user memory (anti counterfeiting). READMULTIPLE BLOCK and (FAST) INVENTORY READ are compatible to ICODE SLI and ICODE SLIX.
- Password protected Label Destroy:
The 32-bit Destroy password enables an addressed label to be destroyed with the DESTROY SLIX2 command. That status is irreversible and the label will never respond to any command again.
- Password protected Privacy Mode:
The 32-bit Privacy password enables a label to be set to the Privacy mode with the ENABLE PRIVACY command. In this mode the label will not respond to any command except the command GET RANDOM NUMBER, until it next receives the correct Privacy password. This mode is especially designed to meet the increasing demand to take care of the customers privacy.
- Password protected EAS and AFI functionality:
The 32-bit EAS/AFI password enables the addressed label to be set in a mode where the EAS status, the EAS ID and/or the AFI value can only be changed if the correct EAS/AFI password needs to be transmitted before with the SET PASSWORD command.
- 16 bit counter:
The last block of the user memory provides a special feature - the 16 bit counter. The counter can be increased by one with a WRITE command (optionally password protected by the read password). The counter can be reset to an initial value with the write password.
ICODE SLIX2 RF interface (ISO/IEC 15693)
- Contactless transmission of data and supply energy (no battery needed)
- Operating distance: up to 1.5 m (depending on antenna geometry)
- Operating frequency: 13.56 MHz (ISM, world-wide licence freely available)
- Fast data transfer: up to 53 kbit/s
- High data integrity: 16-bit CRC, framing
- True anticollision
- Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS)
- Application Family Identifier (AFI) supported
- Data Storage Format Identifier (DSFID)
- ENABLE PRIVACY command with 32-bit Privacy password
- DESTROY SLIX2 command with 32-bit Destroy password
- Additional fast anticollision read
- Persistent quiet mode to enable faster inventory speed
- Write distance equal to read distance
- 2560 bits user memory, organized in 80 blocks of 4 bytes each (last block reserved for counter feature)
- 50 years data retention
- Write endurance of 100000 cycles
- Unique identifier for each device (8 byte)
- 32 byte originality signature
- Lock mechanism for each user memory block (write protection)
- Lock mechanism for DSFID, AFI, EAS
- Password (32-bit) protected memory management for Read access
- Password (32-bit) protected memory management for Write access
- Password (32-bit) protected Label Destroy
- Password (32-bit) protected Privacy Mode
- Password (32-bit) protected EAS and AFI functionality
- 16 bit counter (optionally password protected with the read and write password)
- Item level tagging in pharmaceutical supply chains
- Counterfeit protection for consumer goods
- Industrial applications
- Asset and document tracking