The ICODE SLIX IC is a dedicated chip for intelligent label applications such as libraries, product authentication in different industries such as pharmaceutical, medical devices and alcohol, as well as production management in different areas of the industry. This IC is the third generation of a product family of smart label ICs based on the ISO standards ISO/IEC 15693 and ISO/IEC 18000-3, prolonging a successful story of NXP® in the field of vicinity identification systems.
The ICODE system offers the possibility of operating labels simultaneously in the field of the reader antenna (anti-collision). It is designed for long range applications.
Contactless energy and data transfer
Whenever connected to a very simple and easy-to-produce type of antenna (as a result of the 13.56 MHz carrier frequency) made out of a few windings printed, winded, etched, or punched coil, the ICODE SLIX IC can be operated without line of sight up to a distance of 1.5 m (gate width). No battery is needed. When the smart label is positioned in the field of an interrogator antenna, the high-speed RF communication interface enables data to be transmitted up to 53 kbit/s.
An intelligent anti-collision function enables several tags to operate in the field simultaneously. The anti-collision algorithm selects each tag individually and ensures that the execution of a transaction with a selected tag is performed correctly without data corruption resulting from other tags in the field.
Security and privacy aspects
ICODE SLIX RF interface (ISO/IEC 15693)
- Contactless transmission of data and supply energy (no battery needed)
- Operating distance: up to 1.5 m (depending on antenna geometry)
- Operating frequency: 13.56 MHz (ISM, world-wide license freely available)
- Fast data transfer: up to 53 kbit/s
- High data integrity: 16-bit CRC, framing
- True anti-collision
- Password protected Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS)
- Password protected Application Family Identifier (AFI)
- Data Storage Format IDentifier (DSFID)
- Additional fast anti-collision read
- Write distance equal to read distance
- 1024 bits, organized in 32 blocks of 4 bytes each
- 50 years data retention
- Write endurance of 100000 cycles
- Unique identifier for each device
- Lock mechanism for each user memory block (write protection)
- Lock mechanism for DSFID, AFI, EAS
- Password (32-bit) protected EAS and AFI functionality